English Language Development (ELD) WIDA Standard
English language learners communicate information, ideas, and concepts necessary for academic success in the content area of Mathematics.
- Listen and speak to carry on a conversation about the mathematics processes and concepts.
- Demonstrate processing or comprehension of the language of mathematics.
- Produce language either orally, in writing, or using semiotics (signs or symbols) to demonstrate their learning related to the standard.
- Promote students’ translation of symbols into words.
- Create sentence frames to promote use of full sentences and mathematical explanations.
- Promote oral sharing of problem solving strategies.
- Offer several opportunities for students to talk about and write about how they are thinking or understanding the mathematical concepts.
- Challenge students to create their own math problems.
- Encourage the use of cognates and point out the multiple meanings of important vocabulary.
- Provide visual clues, gestures, realia, pictures, and graphic representations.
- Pre-teach key phrases and vocabulary.
- Maintain the cognitive demand as he/she differentiates the language of instruction and assessment to ensure educational equity for all students according to their language development.