Professional Learning Community Collective Commitments
Collective Commitments for Leadership Team
The Leadership Team of School District 21 includes the Board of Education and Administrators of the District. The Leadership Team is committed to fulfilling the District Mission and Vision. In doing so, we will:
- Demonstrate fiscal responsibility in district decisions.
- Provide multilevel opportunities for community involvement in district decision-making.
- Encourage and celebrate achievements that support our Mission and Vision.
- Model life-long learning, continuous improvement, and a work ethic that reflects the importance of our Mission and Vision.
- Create and maintain safe learning environments.
- Use a data-driven, decision-making process to systematically, fiscally and instructionally assess, review, and revise our curricular and co-curricular programs.
- Recruit and retain individuals who share our Mission and Vision.
- Develop and implement programs, policies, and procedures that will assure continuous improvement for all students.
Collective Commitments for Students
As students of School District 21, we understand the importance of having an excellent school district. In order to do our part, we will:
- Show pride and spirit in our school by participating in school activities.
- Respect ourselves, others, and the property of the school.
- Share our talents and skills with other students so everyone can succeed.
- Extend our hand in friendship and kindness towards all students.
- Take responsibility for our own learning and actions.
- Reach and work towards our personal best with a positive attitude
Collective Commitments for Teachers
As teachers, we recognize a collaborative culture is the underlying structure on which advancement toward School District 21’s shared vision is supported. In order to advance this shared vision, we, as members of collaborative teams, will:
- Use various and balanced assessments to guide instructional design and to monitor students progress towards intended curricular outcomes.
- Provide opportunities for students to develop academic and life skills necessary to make responsible choices, develop independence, and act respectfully and collaboratively.
- Commit to life-long learning, on-going professional development, and sharing and implementing relevant information and strategies into our learning environment.
- Provide a supportive school atmosphere where everyone feels emotionally, physically, and intellectually safe while acting with integrity, respect, and honesty.
- Be proactive to collaborate with and involve parents in the education of their children by communicating student progress and providing a support system for students.
- Provide differentiated instruction that incorporates conceptual, inquiry, and research-based practices, as well as real world learning at student’s instructional level.
- Communicate with and utilize resources of the community.
Collective Commitments for Support Staff
In our varied roles as members of the School District 21 support staff, we share common commitments to assist the district in reaching its vision. In order to advance this vision, we will:
- Create an environment that is courteous and welcoming; helpful and positive; and safe and nurturing.
- Be responsive to the needs and requests of students, staff, parents, and community in a timely manner.
- Approach all situations with an open mind.
- Maintain a professional presentation in our appearance and work environment.
- Promote our own emotional and physical health as well as that of our colleagues.
- Develop and support positive relationships with our colleagues, students, parents, and community.
- Participate in effective communication through ‘chains of command’ (i.e. teachers, principal, social worker, special services, etc.) while recognizing and honoring the need for confidentiality.
- Model a commitment to continuous improvement; a commitment to life-long learning by taking responsibility for our own career advancement; an appreciation for cultural diversity; and pride, ownership, and support of the school and district.
Collective Commitments for Parents
As parents we must become familiar with the vision statements of School District 21. We can contribute to the pursuit of that vision and the success of our children when we:
1. Create an environment conducive to learning by:
- providing a quiet place for study;
- stressing the importance of continuous learning;
- insisting on good attendance and preparation for school;
- encouraging involvement in school activities; and
- encouraging our children to achieve their potential while offering praise.
2. Become actively involved in the life of the school by:
- learning about the available curricular, extra curricular, and student support programs;
- learning about student expectations in the classroom and in extra curricular programs;
- volunteering in the classroom; and
- attending school activities.
3. Engage in open and timely communication with the school by:
- responding to the school’s feedback about our children’s academic progress and behavior;
- advising school personnel of any special circumstances or needs of our children;
- being proactive in asking questions, expressing concerns, and seeking information; and
- understanding that we are our child’s biggest advocate.
4. Help our children become responsible, self-reliant members of the school community by:
- teaching them to accept responsibility for their own learning, decisions, and behavior;
- insisting they observe the rules of the school;
- modeling respect, consideration, and cooperation in dealing with others and expecting our children to do the same; and
- modeling respect for cultural diversity, individuality, and the choices and rights of others.
5. Promote a healthy lifestyle by:
- modeling and supporting responsible lifestyle choices;
- monitoring the activities of our children and responding to behavior which jeopardizes their health and well-being;
- becoming informed of the risks associated with use of alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs; and
- discussing and developing family rules which prohibit illegal use of alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs.