CCSD21 Strategic Plan
School District 21, in partnership with Consortium for Educational Change (CEC), embarked on a strategic planning effort in fall 2019. A team of more than 50 dedicated stakeholders developed a strategic plan over the course of four months. The completed plan was approved by the Board of Education on January 16, 2020 and will guide CCSD21’s work to grow and succeed from 2020-2025.
CCSD21 Strategic Plan 2020-2025
CCSD21 Strategic Plan summary
Ensure engaging, innovative, equitable and safe learning experiences for every student, every day.
- Equity: Equity in opportunity and experience is critical to support the growth and achievement of all students.
- Whole Child: We recognize the importance of addressing both the academic and non-academic needs of all learners.
- Engagement: Value voice and input to actively involve stakeholders in the learning process.
- Stewardship: We commit to using our district resources wisely and responsibly.
- Continuous Improvement: Provide educational programming to challenge each individual to ensure learning and growth.
- Trust & Respect: Treat all individuals with actions and behaviors that demonstrate trust and respect.
- Partnership: Work with others to be responsive to the changing needs of students, families, staff members, and the community at large.
- Accountability: Ensure all students are ready for college/career, and life success.
- Growth Mindset: Provide a mindset for growth and improvement by using data, research, goal setting, progress monitoring, and reporting.
CCSD21 strives to empower every student, every day, in every school with:
- Engaged Educators: A talented, caring, and inspiring staff that does whatever it takes to instill a love of learning in all students.
- Environment: A learning environment that encourages confidence, self-sufficiency, safety, health, and well-being.
- Culture: A culture that values diversity and inclusiveness, and celebrates individual differences.
- Community: A network of community partners that facilitate learning opportunities beyond the school walls.
- Curriculum: A rigorous curriculum that is future-focused and evolving to provide a pathway to high school, college, career, and life success.
- Instructional Experiences: Instructional experiences that engage minds, respond to curiosities, and inspire continued learning.
For every student in every school we will ensure the knowledge, skills, and dispositions we teach will have real life application for students to demonstrate:
- Curiosity & Agency
- Creativity & Innovation
- Resilience & Flexibility
- Communication & Collaboration
- Critical Thinking & Problem Solving
- Prepare all students for high school, college/career, and life success.
- Cultivate a safe and responsive environment that supports each learner’s growth.
- Attract, nurture, and retain an engaged and effective staff.
- Strengthen family and community partnerships.
- Maintain responsible stewardship of District finances, and resources of people, time, and physical space.
2020-2025 Strategic Plan Presentation to the Board of Education
Strategic Planning Process
- CEC Strategic Planning Process
- CCSD21 Professional Learning Community Areas of Focus
- Example Strategic Plan
September 9, 2019 – Orientation
- Article 1 – Equity in Education: What it is and Why it Matters
- Article 2 – From a Nation at Risk to a Nation at Hope
- Article 3 – Making the Case for Educating the Whole Child
September 23, 2019 – Data Retreat
Data Retreat Participant Handout
- Student (Executive Summary)
- Student (Full Report)
- Staff (Executive Summary)
- Staff (Full Report)
- Parent/Community (Executive Summary)
- Parent/Community (Full Report)
CCSD21 2018 School Report Card At a Glance
CCSD21 2018 Illinois School Report Card
Data Retreat Presentations
- Culture: Learning and Working Environment
- Resources: Finances, Facilities, and Technology
- Student Achievement
October 28, 2019 – Vision Retreat
- Vision Retreat Agenda
- Vision Retreat Participant Handout
- Vision Retreat Power Point
- Vision Retreat Posters
- Vision Retreat Investigations Activity
- SWOT Analysis Focus Group Report
- Vision 20/20 Executive Summary- Visioning Example
November 11, 2019 – Setting Direction Retreat
- Setting Direction Retreat Agenda
- Setting Direction Retreat Participant Handout
- Setting Direction Retreat Power Point
- Setting Directions Retreat Activities Packet
- Findings of the CCSD 21 Vision Retreat
- Article 1: Frustration in the Schools
- Article 2: Redefining Ready
- Article 3: The State We’re In: Executive Summary
- Article 4: Work SMARTER not HARDER
December 9, 2019 – Strategic Plan Finalization
CCSD21 Systems Assessment
During the spring of 2019, District 21 also partnered with the Consortium for Educational Change (CEC) to conduct a comprehensive assessment of district systems. The assessment process utilized best practice criteria, including characteristics of Professional Learning Communities (PLCs) and Baldrige Performance Excellence Education Criteria, and the assessment was organized into three focus areas:
- A Focus on Learning
- A Focus on Collaboration
- A Focus on Results
The systems assessment executive summary is available below: