3rd Grade Social Studies Standards
Power Standards (Listed) and Supporting Standards (Italicized)
- Explain how families, workplaces, organizations and government entities interact and affect communities in multiple ways. (SS.3.CV.1)
- Using evidence, describe how people have strived to improve communities over time to achieve equitable outcomes, practices, or policies. (SS.3.CV.2)
Economics & Financial Literacy
- Describe the role of banks and other financial institutions in an economy (SS.EC.FL.3.3)
- Compare the goods and services that people in the local community produce and those that are produced in other communities.(SS.EC.1.3)
- Explain that when people borrow, they receive something of value now and agree to repay the lender over time.(SS.EC.FL. 4.3)
- Generate examples of the goods and services that governments provide (SS.EC. 2.3)
- Explain how culture influences the way people modify and adapt to the environment or the way people do not modify and adapt to their environments (SS.3.G.2.)
- Using print and digital maps, globes, and other simple geographic models to identify topographic and other graphic representations of both familiar and unfamiliar locations. (SS.3.G.1)
- Describe the movement of goods, people, jobs, and/or information and the effect of the cultural and environmental characteristics on movement of goods. (SS.3.G.3)
- SS.3.H.2. Explain how the diverse perspectives of people and events develop and shape communities and/or regions. (SS.3.H.2)
- SS.3.H.1. Create and use a chronological sequence of related events to compare developments that happened at the same time. (SS.3.H.1)
- SS.3.H.3.3. Identify and analyze how different kinds of historical sources are used to explain events in the past.(SS.3.H.3.3)
Social Studies Inquiry Standards
- Generate important questions to address local, regional, state, national, and global problems.
- Create action steps to find answers to questions.
- Evaluate and use credible sources that represent multiple points of view.
- Develop claims, formulate explanations, and construct arguments using relevant evidence and data from multiple sources to answer important questions.
- Share findings with authentic audiences using a variety of technologies to enhance the message.
- Reflect on one’s inquiry process and findings to take informed action.