Back Together CCSD21
CCSD21 All Distance Reopening
Considering the upward-trending infection rates locally, across the state, and nationwide, and inconclusive data on COVID-19 spread among and through children, the Board of Education adopted a revision to the CCSD21 Return to School Plan for the 2020-2021 school year. CCSD21 will begin the 2020-2021 school year with full-time distance learning for all students. We hope to welcome students back for in-person instruction beginning Monday, October 5, 2020. A final decision on the resumption of in-person instruction will be made no later than Friday, September 25, 2020.
The first day of instruction for students in grades 1-8 remains Thursday, August 20. The first day of instruction for kindergarten and pre-k students remains Friday, August 21.
Distance Reopening Plan
To view Dr. Connolly’s distance learning reopening message on YouTube, click here.
The district will offer daily on site supervision for children in grades K-6 to those families who establish a clear need during this period of extended distance learning. Children attending the supervision program will have limited interaction with others as they engage in their daily distance learning classes. Capacity is limited, therefore we ask that only those families who are unable to provide for alternate supervision of their children during this time submit an application for the program. Parents will be notified of their child’s enrollment status in the supervision program at least one week before school begins.
Application for Supervision of Children Grades K-6
Distance Learning Academy or Home School Enrollment
Parents received a detailed explanation on July 31 about the Distance Learning Academy, remote instruction for all students, and the resumption of in-person learning.
The existing full-time Distance Learning opt in Academy will continue to be offered for the entirety of the 2020-2021 school year. Families who have previously opted in to the existing Distance Learning Academy can maintain their enrollment in the program or withdraw. Withdrawal emails must be submitted to [email protected] by 10:00 AM on Monday, August 3. Families who have not opted in to the Distance Learning Academy but would like to do so can complete the opt-in form below by 11:59 PM on Sunday, August 2, 2020.
Resuming in-person instruction
We hope to welcome students back for in-person instruction beginning Monday, October 5, 2020. A final decision on the resumption of in-person instruction will be made no later than Friday, September 25, 2020.
When in-person instruction resumes, the 2020-2021 School Year Reopening Plan will be in effect. Click here to review the plan for the resumption of in-person instruction. Plan highlights include:
- First day of instruction for students in grades 1-8 is Thursday, August 20. First day of instruction for kindergarten and pre-k students is Friday, August 21.
- Full-time in-person instruction and full-time distance learning instruction will be offered.
- The middle school day will run from 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM. The elementary school day will remain 9:00 AM – 3:30 PM. Pre-kindergarten half-day programs will run five days per week; the AM session is from 9:00 – 11:30 AM, and the PM session is from 1:00 – 3:30 PM.
- All parents or guardians will be asked to perform a daily certification of health for their child(ren) before sending them to school. Students showing any signs of illness may not attend school.
- Face coverings are required to be worn by all students, staff, and visitors at all times while inside a school or on a bus.
One-page plan summaries
One page summaries of various aspects of the in-person reopening plan are available below.
- Overall plan summary: English | Español | Polski | Русский
- In-person and full-time distance learning details: English
- Detailed comparison of in-person and distance learning: English
Curriculum, instructional minutes, and learning schedules for in-person instruction and full-time distance learning instruction mirror one another. Sample schedules are depicted below; Distance Learning items are differentiated with an asterisk (*) and are italicized.
Hybrid learning schedule
CCSD21 researched the feasibility of offering a voluntary hybrid (in-person and distance based) learning schedule for Grades K-8 for the 2020-2021 school year. District administrators and building principals thoroughly analyzed survey results and considered the logistics of offering an AM/PM hybrid program in addition to our other instructional delivery models. Due to the complexity of school day schedules and limited teacher and staff availability, it will not be possible to offer an optional hybrid program at this time.
Frequently Asked Questions about CCSD21’s plan for the 2020-2021 school year are answered within this document. Please continue to reference this document as information will be updated continuously.
Please direct any general questions or concerns to [email protected].